Before working at Leading Teams, I was in a national leadership facilitator at a not-for-profit social enterprise, a business manager at a major advertising agency and teacher.
How would you like to be described by your family, friends, and clients?
I would like to be described as a leader that is authentic, courageous, and engaging.
A leader that is humble, yet has authority
Authentic in my desire to ask questions and genuinely care
Courageous in challenging myself and others to be better
Engaging through storytelling, a depth of knowledge and being present
What is your favourite piece of leadership advice, or quote?
When I first heard the below quote in the movie Coach Carter I had a mix of hairs standing on the back of my neck and tears. Not a word is wasted.
OUR DEEPEST FEAR
By Marianne Williamson
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.
We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
You playing small
Does not serve the world.
There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won’t feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine,
As children do.
We were born to make manifest
The glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us;
It’s in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we’re liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.
What does success look like with a client?
From the client’s perspective, success means we have answered their brief and solved their problem.
From my perspective, I have helped create a safe and trusted environment that has led to higher levels of accountability, commitment and performance for each person involved, the team and organisation.
Tell us about your culture and leadership experience?
From a young age, I’ve always sought to use my influence in any place I’ve been.
- Finley NSW – Country kid goes to big smoke as a Ballperson for 3 years at the Aust Open, Primary and High School Captain, State and National Leadership roles
- Canberra – Coached our University Australian Rules team to five consecutive grand final wins, taught kids with autism and behaviour problems, voted into the leadership team every year at University College
- Sydney – Led the UN and UNIFEM campaigns whilst at Saatchi and Saatchi, grew a team into a High Performing NFP across Australia
- World – Facilitated small groups in Kenya, Liberia, Groote Eylandt, Lebanon, Washington DC
- Adelaide – Currently acting on two Boards connected to Adelaide and Ethiopia
- Adelaide – Continuing to partner with Vineyards, Bands, Prisons, Corporates, Government and Community Organisations.
- Adelaide – Help lead with my wife and our family of two little girls
Steve has been trusted by
“Steve delivered the best program I have done so far in my 17 years with Kennards. The information was relevant to my role and it was delivered professionally and in a way that I could relate to. I will take a lot back to my branch to implement.”